'the greatest New Zealand poet no one has ever heard of' (Spinoff)
Poem for October 2021
The Night my Great-Great-Aunt invented the Anarchist Hop
The poem’s done, they said she said, and now
we’ll take it out. They sang it in the car.
They went to town. I guess she meant somehow
to put her words to use. They found a bar,
Goldblatt’s Dine & Dance in Saskatoon,
and balancing her beer my distant Aunt
took certain steps across the cold saloon
to thwart her crinolines and disenchant
the thoughtless hoofers at their Turkey Trot :
despite King Kurrant’s Boogie Band to go
anyhow, or where, in time or not,
around the moonlit clapboard floor. Bravo
and thanks for that unruly, small upset,
from one who has not quite found the rhythm of her own heart yet.
What's Afoot? Top 10
1. 'The Extasie', 64 love poems, now out, with its wonderful cover (and contents!). Available to buy at all good bookshops, or order from Amazon and/or www.carcanet.co.uk A SUNDAY TIMES SUMMER READ RECOMMENDATION (see also Financial Times Literary Supplement).
2. 'Amado Nervo: Poems of Faith & Doubt' (my translations) just out from SLG Press, Oxford. You can order from email@example.com : there will be 6 or 7 volumes in this set of Contemplative Poetry, including 'Anglo-Saxon', 'Middle English', 'Marian Poems', 'Women & God'. Others to be confirmed.
3. A timely 100Euro prize at the Ballybunion Arts Fest.
4. 'The Short Afters of Noah Claypole', my only prose (novel) now being printed at Anchorprint for Gerolstein Press release very soon.
5. Just written the Blurb for forthcoming Carcanet Classics vol. of my and bro's translation of Petrus Borel's 'Rhapsodies 1838'. Due out 2022.
6. 'Aotearoa/Angleland', a selection of 30/30 tankas to be published by New Walk Editions. Probably December.
7. 'Meet the Author' is now on the Carcanet blog : https://carcanetblog.blogspot.com/2021/04/john-gallas-extasie.html
8. 'The Gnawing Flood', a book of 28 anti-colonial poem-prints now out from brave and exciting Cerasus Publishing. Order @ The Gnawing Flood: Amazon.co.uk: Gallas, John: 9798592286063: Books
9. John Rylands Library Manchester Online Exhibition : the creative process of a John Gallas poem, 'Somewhere down Hurdletree Gate' - visit @ https://medium.com/special-collections/the-creative-process-of-poet-john-gallas-a01301497c92
10. Completed : a set of online workshops called 'Write Like a Saxon' for the Sutton Hoo Saxonship Project (www.saxonship.org). JOIN IN - and meanwhile sponsor a rivet at the website address! This wonderful project is also about to exhibit a CGI film of the ship in action accompanied by a reading of my Saxonship Poem no.10, 'On the Water'. Poems 11 and 12 on the way.
Complete Book List - we have reached 24 !
Practical Anarchy (Carcanet)
Flying Carpets Over Filbert Street (Carcanet)
Resistance is Futile (Carcanet)
The Ballad of Robin Hood and the Deer (Agraphia Press), pictures by Clifford Harper
The Ballad of Santo Caserio (Agraphia Press), pictures by Clifford Harper
The Song Atlas (Carcanet)
Star City (Carcanet)
The Book with Twelve Tales (Carcanet)
Fucking Poets (3 vols) (Cold Hub Press NZ)
40 Lies (Carcanet) pictures by Sarah Kirby
Fresh Air & The Story of Molecule (Carcanet)
52 Euros (Carcanet)
Pacifictions (Cold Hub Press NZ)
The Alphabet of Ugly Animals (Magpie Press)
Mad John's Walk (Five Leaves : Occasional Pamphlets) January 2017
The Little Sublime Comedy (Carcanet) 2018
17 Very Pacific Poems (Indigo Dreams) 2019
The Blood Book (Gerolstein Press)
The Gnawing Flood (Cerasus Publishing) 2021 - out now, see above No.1.
The Extasie (Carcanet) - due out April 2021 - see above.
*Petrus Borel 'Rhapsodies', translated from the French by John & Kurt Gallas (Carcanet Classics) - due out 2022
*Aotearoa/Angleland' - 30 + 30 tankas from my two lands (New Walk Editions) - autumn/winter 2021
* 'Amado Nervo: Poems of Faith & Doubt' - SLG Publishing, Oxford. Due out late this year.
John Gallas Poetry www.johngallaspoetry.co.uk
Carcanet Press www.carcanet.co.uk
Carcanet blog www.carcanetblog.blogspot.co.uk
John Gallas Facebook
Cold Hub Press (NZ) www.coldhubpress.co.nz
New Walk Editions www.newwalkmagazine.com
Five Leaves publishing/bookshop (Mad John's Walk) www.fiveleaves.co.uk
Agraphia / Clifford Harper www.agraphia.co.uk
YouTube (Paterau Sonnent / The Blobfish Sings Under the Sea)
STAND Magazine www.standmagazine.org
Indigo Dreams publishing www.indigodreams.co.uk
Spinoff (NZ) www.thespinoff.co.nz
The John Clare Project www.brookes.ac.uk/the-meeting
The Sutton Hoo Ship Build (Sponsor that Rivet) www.saxonship.org